Sunday, December 1, 2013

Salmon Tartines

I have been  hosting quite a few parties these last few weeks and have added this new staple to my list.  It's super easy, really is just assembly more so then cooking but sure to be a crowd pleaser.

In the below photo I used shallots instead of red onion because I had them on hand but I would suggest sticking with the red onion both for aesthetic and flavor impact. This recipe is not created by me simply me picking the best of what come across and sharing with you.

Also, there is no need to cut the bread into stars like I did, in fact for my party I didn't but like a kid with a new toy I had to try out my new cookie cutters. I think these look best cut into rounds or even just cut the slice of pumpernickel in half on the diagonal or thirds.



Ingredients:
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup capers roughly chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (don't discard the lemon, you will use again)
1 1/2. Tbsp fresh copped dill (you really need the fresh kind)
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds

6-8 slices of pumpernickel bread (get as thin sliced as you can find)
8 oz whipped cream cheese (soften to room temp)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chopped chives (fresh)
12 oz thinly sliced smoked salmon (torn into bit side pcs.)
zest of 1 lemon

Directions: you can do step 1 and 2 in advance up to 2 hours if need be.

1. To make the relish combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate (if done in advance)

2. Combine the cream cheese, sour cream and chives and refrigerate (if done in advance, remove 30 minutes before assembling so it's spreadable.

3. Preheat oven to 350 and put bread on cookie sheets, cut bread into desired shape and toast for about 10 minutes and then let them cool completely.

4. Right before serving spread the cream cheese mixture on the bread and top with a bite size pc of smoked salmon.

5. Garnish with the relish and top with a sprinkling of grated lemon zest.

Enjoy!

Serve at once. Makes about 18 pcs.


No comments:

Post a Comment