Sunday, September 15, 2013

Carmelized Onion Hummus

I have always been a fan of hummus, but a recent trip to the Middle East has reminded me just how much I love the stuff. Those of you who know me know that I am bit of a picky eater when it comes to store bought and prepared foods. There is something special about hummus made at home without preservatives.



I have never made this particular version before but I thought adding caramelized onion, garlic and shallots would be a nice addition and I was right. I topped it with some Za'atar Spice that a friend gave me from Saudi Arabia and some shelled pistachios.

Ingredients:
1/2 of medium onion chopped
1 shallot chopped
4 cloves of garlic chopped
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cans of chickpeas drained (15.5 oz cans)
1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste)
2 more cloves of garlic
juice of 2 lemons
2 tsps. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
8 dashes hot sauce
2 Tbsp. water
extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
2 Tbsp. Za'atar spice
2 Tbsp. shelled pistachios

In a sauté pan combine 2 Tbsp. of olive oil with the chopped onion, garlic and shallot and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes until caramelized (don't make crispy, stir often). Set aside to cool.






In food processor add the chickpeas, 2 cloves raw garlic, tahini, lemon juice, salt, pepper, hot sauce, water and cooled onion mixture. Process on med/hi for about 2-3 minutes until completely smooth. Taste and adjust salt, pepper, hot sauce or lemon juice to your liking if necessary.

Spoon into dish and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle over that Za'atar spice and top with pistachios.

Enjoy with pita chips, cut veggies, in a wrap, etc.





No comments:

Post a Comment